For a few years now I have asked myself the question, “If Bobby Flay came knocking on the door asking if I wanted to throw down in my kitchen, what would be my competition dish?”
This is it. This is my signature dish. This is the dinner I would bring a new neighbor or a mom who just had a baby. It is the biggest and warmest hug I can give on a plate. It’s just all out comfort food and my family loves it when I make Chicken Pot Pie.
So, since Bobby didn’t come today, I am sharing it with all of you.
Happy Pi Day!
Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
Sauté veggies in a skillet heated to medium with either butter or oil in the bottom. Add garlic, Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper. Once veggies are soft(ish), sprinkle in unbleached all-purpose flower and continue stirring for about 3min to create a compound roux.
Then slowly, while stirring, pour in liquid and mix until it is fully incorporated. Turn up the heat until it starts to bubble then simmer, stirring occasionally for 10-15min. Meanwhile, make the crust.
Place flour, sweet potato and salt into the bowl of a mixer with dough hook attachment. Set on speed 2 and slowly pour in the oil until a ball begins to form, then add milk. Pour in slowly so your dough doesn’t get too wet. If it does, add more flour.
(I make the dough after lunch so dinner-time just a little bit easier to pull off)
The dough should be super soft and incredibly manageable! Flour your surface and spray the pie plate with non-stick spray or coat with butter.
Once your creamy filling has thickened add in your chicken, peas and corn.
Fill your pie and cover. Brush with egg wash and slit to allow steam to escape. Take a minute to enjoy the beauty of what you just made…ahhhh….
Bake for 30min on 350.
Then say, “Come to Mama!”
Watch out for little hands. It’s so pretty they just want to touch it…
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ¾ cups frozen corn
- ¾ cups frozen peas
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken stock (homemade adds deep flavor)
- 1 whole chicken (either roasted or rotisserie) all meat removed and roughly chopped
- For the crust:
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ large baked sweet potato
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup sunflower seed oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- DirectionsHeat skillet and melt 3 tablespoons of butter
- Add onions, carrots and celery
- Sauté for about 5min and add garlic
- Sprinkle in flour and mix until the flour is incorporated, about 2min
- Slowly pour in the liquid, whisking continuously
- Turn the heat up until the mixture bubbles then simmer, stirring occasionally for 15min
- Prep your pie plate with butter or spray and get your crust ready
- In the bowl of a mixer with dough hook attachment mix flour, salt, brown sugar, oil and milk
- Knead until a nice ball forms
- Remove dough and split into two pieces (one for top of pie and one for crust)
- Roll out and set one into pie plate
- Pinch the edges.
- Once the filling is thick and creamy and the chicken, peas and corn
- Mix well then ladle the filling into the crust and cover
- Pinch the edges into the bottom crust so that the filling doesn't bubble out.
- Brush with egg wash, make 4 slits in the top for steam to escape